articles‎ > ‎

Permits Needed To Start A Restaurant Business

posted 24 Feb 2013, 09:27 by Mpelembe   [ updated 24 Feb 2013, 09:27 ]

When you open a restaurant business, there are many permits and
licenses you will be required to have. The type of business
license you will need will be different in each city, county,
and state. There are some who require each business to register
yearly, and they collect a fee from each registration. There are
others that do not require a business to register if the
business is not incorporated, unless you will be operating under
an assumed or fictitious name.

To learn what type of licenses and permits you will need for
the area your business will be located in, you need to talk to
your county or city clerk. You will also want to check out the
zoning ordinances and sign regulations that may apply to the
type and location of your business.

Before you even think about obtaining licenses and permits, you
will need to apply for a Federal Employer Identification Number
or EIN. You can do this by visiting the IRS website. They will
ask a few questions and you will be issued an EIN. This number
identifies you to the government (IRS) as a business owner.
Everyone who owns a business must have an EIN.

Below are some of the licenses and permits that you may need
for your restaurant business.

1. A License for Business– Depending on your restaurant
business location, you may be charged a percentage of your gross
sales, or a simple yearly fee to operate your business.

2. A Food Handler's License or Permit– This is necessary for
the selling of edible goods. Each state and county have their
own set of rules and amount of fee charged. You will be
inspected regularly by health inspectors to make sure you are
running a clean restaurant business.

3. A Liquor License– having a liquor license will allow you to
sell alcohol. It is essential to have one if you plan on selling
any alcohol in your restaurant business. The type of license you
apply for will depend on what sort of alcohol your restaurant
will serve. Many states will require that you obtain a one
license for beer, another for wine, and yet another for hard
liquor. The state only allows a certain number of liquor
licenses for an area. If none are available you, you will need
to purchase the license from someone who already has one and is
willing to sell. These can be renewed yearly, unless you have
committed an illegal offense such as, selling liquor to a minor,
or selling liquor you do not have a license for.

4. A Sign Permit– Before you put up any signs for your
restaurant business, contact your city officials to see if there
are restrictions on the type of sign, size, location, and how
the sign is lit. You should also get written approval from your
landlord before you put up any sort of sign.

5. A Music License– Any establishment that plays copyrighted
music, will need one of these. Whether you have a band, DJ
playing CDs, or Karaoke. The fines can be steep for not having a
music license. They usually run from $5,000 to $20,000, so it's
a good idea to obtain this license.

6. Fire Certificates– You will undoubtedly be inspected by the
fire department before you open your restaurant business. They
will educate you on all regulations you will need to follow, and
will do routine inspections on your business.

Other permits you may need include: a Police Permit, a Sellers
Permit (allows you to buy wholesale goods without paying sales
tax), and a Building or Zoning Permit.

The laws and regulations of any area are subject to change, it
will be important to join your local and National Restaurant
Association. Keep informed on the changes in local government

About The Author: Mario Churchill is a freelance author and has
written over 200 articles on various subjects. For more
information about how to open new restaurant checkout